Basilica di S.M. Assunta di Torcello
Constructed in 639 and expanded in 824, it owes its present-day structure to the partial reconstruction completed in 1008 at the behest of Bishop Orso Orseolo, son of Doge Pietro II. We can read about the relations with Ravenna, which was a liaison city with the East. The church is a three-nave basilica, with 18 columns in Greek marble, divided into twelve sections and has a marble door with 9th-century jambs and architraves decorated with bas-reliefs dating to the 11th- century. Grand Veneto-Byzantine mosaics embellish its interior, beginning with the mosaic on the floor and continuing with the one that decorates the bowl of the apse and triumphal arch, depicting the Twelve Apostles, the Annunciation and the "Vergine Teotoga". To the left of the main altar is an original inscription with the date of foundation of the church, which represents the oldest document of Venetian history. Along the right side are several windows complete with massive stone shutters.