Monumental Rooms (Libreria Sansoviniana)
The Biblioteca Marciana (Libreria di S. Marco) was founded upon the donation made by the Greek Cardinal Bessarione in 1468, who donated his collection of over 1,000 Greek and Latin codicils to the Republic of Venice so that it might found a public library. To house this priceless endowment, the State of Veneto commissioned Jacopo Sansovino to construct a splendid building in the classic style, which was erected between 1537 and 1553 in the Piazzetta San Marco opposite the Palazzo Ducale. The salon designated to house the books was decorated with canvases by Tintoretto, Veronese, and other Renaissance painters, while the Statuary museum of the Republic was located at the end of the sixteenth century in the antechamber, adorned with an exquisite painting by Titian. Today both rooms are used for staging exhibits and constitute part of the visitor’s itinerary of the Museums of St. Mark's Square, while the reading rooms have been moved to the building of the Zecca, also designed and built by Sansovino. Entrance to the Museo Correr, Napoleonic Wing of St. Mark's Square.